Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Transport

One friend of mine suggested that the large number of pajeros on the road is most likely indicative of the number of aid workers in Zambia….no small number! But perhaps the number of imported bikes on the road are indicative of the number of peace corps volunteers! Yes, this is my mode of transport which has made my Lusaka experience particularly thrilling! Bicycles are a very common mode of transportation here and considered by many to be a luxurious mode of transport at that! For those who have cars, vans, busses, trucks,… however, bikes are an insignificant nuisance and have no right of way. Although I was prepared somewhat by Oregon pick up truck drivers who also see bikes as something to run off the road, I have been caught off guard by vehicles turning directly in front of me, or pulling off the shoulder forcing me to slam on my brakes and swerve quickly (not without a few obscenities shouted by me!) I have developed a bit of a system of judging when to take some initiative and when I should not chance it. For example, I usually presume that a really nice car won’t want blood on their shiny hood so therefore will stop. I also presume police officers, soldiers, and health workers might want to avoid extra work from running over a cyclist. I was doing some racial profiling, thinking people who looked like they weren’t originally from Zambia might have a bit more of a cycling friendly attitude, but after a few close calls realized that many of these people have developed a “when in Zambia, do as Zambian” attitude and will run me over as fast as anyone else! There is also the incessant honking which means either, “hey, do you want to ride my bus,” “hey, why don’t you take my taxi,” or “hey, if you proceed on your current course, I’m going to run you over.” On a bike, it’s usually the latter! I do have some added protection as being such an oddity as a white girl on a bike with a helmet that many give me a wider berth! Also as a cyclist, I am higher on the chain than a pedestrian, so then it is my turn to wield my power and clear the path with a little ring of my bell! All said and done, not sure the bike is any less safe than other modes of transportation I have used including minibuses, private taxies, hitch hiking, sitting on top of high piled bags of mealies (corn), or sharing the back of a flatbed with pigs on their way to an uncertain fate. It is certainly a more pleasant means of transport anyway! Added benefit….I cycle right past the huge cars queuing for hours to get a few gallons of the very scarce fuel available in Zambia at the moment.

No comments: