Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Update

Just be aware...I did not take the photos in the preceding entry, nor was I present, nor did I see anything untoward. Yesterday I had a meeting across town, in the rich part of town where all the foreigners live. I took a rickshaw, giving a couple cyclists a bit of a workout, but they seemed happy for a big fare. I did mess up coming back and ended up walking right through a demonstration, but it was peaceful and there were no problems. Overall though, it was easier to travel since for the most part, vehicles have been taken off the road. Ambulances are used to transport people when necessary ie: to pick people up from the airport.

Yes, I said next time. The blockade has been lifted as of this morning and will remain so until Monday. The 14 party coalition is still demanding that the election commission be revamped. They are giving the interim government until Sunday to make do so at which point it will be resumed. At least it will give an opportunity for some things to move through the ports and for supplies to get through to Dhaka. I know fresh foods were becoming a bit scarce.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Robin - I worry about you. You are doing a great job of making sure tha we know what is really going on over there and giving Kailie and I lots to chat about the world. Keep safe and try to find some turkey this tomorrow to celebrate Thanksgiving. We are thankful for the work you do in this world.