Sunday, March 18, 2007

Words

Nepal....majestic mountain range...often hidden from view and you'd never even imagine they could be there....and then...just a brief break in the clouds and there they are in all their glory. Wheat fields of different shades of maturity. Women drying the ripened grains in the sun. Wrinkled old woman asking about my bracelets and if they signify marriage as theirs do. A Nepali woman giving me a seat out of the hail storm while demonstrating the traditional Gorung bag she is in the process of weaving. Watching storm after storm roll across the mountains as they disappear under dark clouds and re-emerge. Listening to stories of life as a Bhutan refugee, whose family was kicked out of Bhutan for being Nepalese, yet not given rights in Nepal, and still longing to go home after 16 years, turning down opportunities for an American visa. Resting at a Nepali farm house and being told I look and laugh like the younger sister. In my travels I have met many wonderful people, but never so many who made me feel so welcome and who gave me such an authentic view of their lives in an area that sees many passing by. And why may I never be able to reintegrate into the US.... $6 for a nights accommodation, 2 meals, 4 cups of milky tea, and I think that's a bit pricey!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin - You are beautiful! You are glowing! How blessed I am to be able to count you among my friends!

CWW said...

robin, heya. do you need more help to get the links working? glad to see all my links are not still on your site..although if my friends were friends with your friends virtually, that'd be an interesting sociological experiment. wanna try it? :) as IF we have enough time. well, maybe I have time. but all those NA definately don't have time. and now i am going to go. see you this weekend.