Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Bangladesh reading club

It has been quite a week just adjusting to life here, studying language, settling in. I think the highlight is the moments I took from my studying to read The Hungry Tide by Amitav Ghosh. I have previously read The Glass Palace which is about Burma. Amitav Ghosh is a wonderful story teller, and one of my favourites. The Hungry Tide was especially relevant since MCC staff will visit the Sunderbans in October. I am hoping to add a tiger viewing to the other majestic animals I have seen. If you want other reading recommendations, let me know.

I'm off to Mymensingh for the weekend. One of the staff is having a birthday. No break from the studies. I can now read Bengali script like a 5 year old! Typically you learn pronunciation and can read anything which makes study a bit easier. I'm finally able to make Bengali flash cards which I hope will help. I have to say I think my Bengali is already better than my IsiNdebele was. For one thing, one language is spoken instead of a combo or 3 or 4. Another, it's at least written even if it does initially look like squiggles! But it is a slow go for me, hence the reduction in blogs. I'll try to have more interesting updates next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin - It's so exciting that you can read and write already! WOW. I'm hoping you DO see a tiger so you'll post it. Kailie (age 10) says "way to go". Hope things are fun on your upcoming field trip!

Anonymous said...

Since you are not able to join the Evergreen Women's Book Club, perhaps some of us can join your Bangladesh reading club. As long as we don't have to read something written in squiggles! Hope your weekend practicing Bengali will accelerate your language skills.
Love,
Mom