Sunday, September 24, 2006

Celebrity!

It was a rainy weekend at home, but turned out quite eventful afterall. Friday I went to church, worked with my tutor in the afternoon, and then went to house for dinner. Since her father is my Bangla teacher, the pressure was on to use my Bangla skills. It wasn't too bad. They were happy I was trying. Since much of my conversational skills revolve around what I like and don't like, what I eat and don't eat... I found a specially prepared meal of favourites! There were Bangladeshi sweets beforehand, coffee without sugar, then dinner with prawns, beef, vegetables and "rainy day" rice. Afterwards....CHOCOLATE. I was so full, but it was really great. A little embarassing since normally I just eat what's there instead of having my preferances so known.

Yesterday we had planned on going to the Bazaar which sells the clothes made for American shops, but after 4 days of constant rain, and flooded, congested roads, this seemed like a bad idea. I walked to New Market instead for an interesting glimpse of how locals shop and did buy a few things myself. I passed on the goats heads and scrawny pitiful chickens however!

As soon as I arrived home, my hostess asked if I would like to go with them to Gulshan, the posh part of town that I hadn't really been to yet. I said sure, sprayed some perfume to hide that I'd been out in muggy weather and worn the same clothes for two days, wiped the top layer of dirt off my face and put on some make up, and threw on my Keen flip flops. We arrived to the opening of a very glamorous shop which features special designs all in black and white. My hostess supplies the shop with fabric and clothing. We had barely entered, when a photographer asked me (the lone 'bideshi'in the place) to pose looking at some items. Soon there were a slew of photographers asking me to do the same. I was granted a bit of a reprieve when Bengali model became the focus of attention, but later had a few more poses and tv brief (and awkward) interview to conduct. It was definitely a scene to cause mixed emotions. 1) Why does the colour of my skin make me 'special', 2) Photogenic model I am not! 3) I was certainly the grungiest person there 4) I absolutely do NOT have the funds to buy these products like they think I have, causing me to feel quite the imposter. Still, I have to just laugh and enjoy my 7 seconds of fame, which are now used up, I'm afraid!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just sharing your MCC picture (refrigerator card) with family and friends, now you are a TV celebrity, who knew!
The questions you ask do make one consider the cause of that celebrity. I think a genuine curiosity for those different than oneself is fairly normal. In the west we are saturated with images of worlwide populations and perhaps impervious to those around us who are diffeent.
The more we try to understand other cultures, the better our world will be. I am so proud of you for what you are doing and for sharing it with us.

Love,
Mom